|(Some excerpts from Christmas letter 1999. Some additions.)|
Since becoming parents, God has been honing us, giving us new vision for the purpose and meaning of our lives and how it will affect our little ones and their future. We have become more zealous, more focused and more dependent on Him because this parenting thing is just WAY TOO challenging and rather humiliating to an educated, job secure, middle class couple of the nineties!
Paradoxes of Parenting
These are some of the parodoxes of parenting that we have come to recognize and live with:
1) Children Bite! AND HARD when they are having FUN!
3) Three year olds learn language by repeating the same words and phrases over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....There is a conspicious resemblance to the "dripping water torture" technique.
5) You can get kids to "hurry up" by making a motion picture adventure out of any little trip. It's all in the vocal inflections.
6) Children are easily brainwashed by the shallow standards of our culture! So, I'm starting on the basics now, for example, "How old is Mama? - always 25!", "Who's the most beautiful woman in the world? - Mama!", "Who's the Queen? - Mama!" I am currently working on Jenna's innocent use of certain taboo adjectives, such as, when she proudly states, "Mama you a BIG girl!".
8) HA! The next day the kids deliver their best efforts at a reality check and flatten your inflated ego as "Mom of the Year"! You realize the previous day you were actually having a brief moment of insanity! (What?? More of them? Uhhhh! Let me get back to you on that one!!)
9) You think you are this mature adult, but you find out how childish you can really be! Temper tantrums don't always come from testy 20 month olds!